Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Umi Review: Teppanyaki Side

I had heard that Umi would be open today.  On a whim, I took my two sons (ages 1 and 3 1/2) to have a teppanyaki style dinner.  The interior of the restaurant is quite striking.  There is a floral motif that runs throughout the restaurant, from a subtle pattern on the flooring to bold works of art on the walls.  The women's bathroom has a really pretty red and silver tile on the walls.  They definitely put a lot into the interior decorating!

As I noted, we chose the teppanyaki dinner (rather than dining from a menu that includes sushi, soba noodles, bento boxes, etc.)  That area of the restaurant is bright and has clean lines.  We were served a broth with mushroom and scallion as well as a salad with ginger dressing.  The hibachi chef did a nice, entertaining job with the meal.  Everything was as you would hope it would be for teppanyaki.  If you haven't had it before, it's a fun meal where the chef cooks at your table, do fancy tricks, and serve you fried rice, sauted vegetables, and the meat and/or seafood of your choice.  The staff was very sweet to me, trying to help entertain the boys.

Overall, I would say this is the best of the teppanyaki-style restaurants that I've visited in NE Kansas.  I will go back again to try the sushi and, my favorite dish, age tofu.  I'll remember to bring my camera with me when I go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment